Jira Software is one among the family of products intended to assist all kinds of teams in managing the work. Initially, Jira was designed as a tracking device for bugs and issues. But now, Jira has become a powerful work management tool for all types of use cases, from managing needs and test cases to developing agile software. In this blog, let us see how we can install Jira on windows from the Zip file.
1. Download the Jira zip file to your OS:
Become a master of Jira by going through this HKR Jira Training!
2. Create a folder named installation directory. This is the place where the Installation of Jira will be done. Do not use spaces or special characters in the path. Extract the Jira Zip file in your installation directory.
3. Create a folder named the home directory. This is the place where Jira data such as search indexes, logs, and files are stored. You should create this folder separately from your installation directory.
Let Jira know where to find the home directory when it starts. There are two ways to do it.
Setting up an environment variable:
Edit the jira-application.properties file:
If you want to Explore more about Jira? then read our updated article - Jira Tutorial
4. By default, Jira checks port 8080. If another application uses the same ports, you must tell Jira to use another port.
5. Then you can start Jira.
1. Select the setup method. Select ‘I will set it up myself’.
2. Connect with your database:
3. Define Application properties:
JIRA will connect to your database by means of a standard connection to the JDBC database. Connection sharing is managed in JIRA and can be modified later using the JIRA configuration tool.
When using Oracle or MySQL, there is an additional step:
4. Enter the License:
5. Sign up for your admin account:
6. Configure email notifications:
7. Get started with Jira:
That’s all! Your Jira website can be accessed from your basic URL or a URL such as http://computer_name(or)IP_address:port
Now, let us go through some of the prerequisites before we install Jira.
frequently asked Jira Interview Questions and Answers !!
1. See the Supported Platforms page to learn which version of Jira you are installing. It will provide you information about the supported operating systems, browsers and databases.
2. If you install Jira on a 32-bit system, you must reduce the maximum amount of heap available for Jira. 2GB is the default size 64bit system which is very high for a system with 32 bit and may be unsuitable for available memory.
Follow these steps once you have extracted files from the archive, but even before you start Jira.
Go to the Jira-install-directory/bin directory and remove the setenv.bat/.sh file (edit its name).
Label setenv32.bat/. sh as setenv.bat/.sh. Jira will use that file during startup.
Go to the home directory of Jira, and change the jira-config.properties file. In case there is no file, you may create it.
Add the properties below:
3. Executing Jira as a service on Windows indicates that your Jira application will start automatically once Windows is started. You need to use the Windows installer if you wish to execute Jira as a Service.
In the event that you decide not to use Jira as a service: You need to start and stop Jira by executing the file start-jira.bat in your Jira installation folder.
Jira will be executed as the Windows user account which is used to install Jira, or you may choose to operate it as a dedicated user. (This user requires complete read and write access for the installation folder and the base folder). Jira requires a manual restart when your server is restarted.
4. In order to start Jira in production, you must have an external database. Refer to the Supported Platforms page for the version you are installing for a list of currently supported databases. If you do not have a database, then PostgreSQL is the best choice. It is free, easy to configure, and has gone through many tests with Jira.
5. You require a valid Jira software server, Jira service desk server or Jira Core server license to operate JIRA.
6. Before installing Jira, make sure that you are using a supported Java version and that the JAVA_HOME environment variable is set properly.
Jira applications will work with Oracle JDK, OpenJDK, or JRE. To verify the JAVA_HOME variable:
Related Article: Trello vs Jira
In this post, we have gone through the installation of the Jira application on windows, Setting up the Jira application and the prerequisites before installing Jira. I hope this post was helpful!
Batch starts on 8th Aug 2021, Weekend batch
Batch starts on 12th Aug 2021, Weekday batch
Batch starts on 16th Aug 2021, Weekday batch