Last updated on Dec Fri, 2022 4577
What is a Fortinet Firewall?
A Fortinet Firewall is one of the essential elements in Network Security that is responsible for protecting the data or network from data loss, malicious attacks or malicious traffic along with the unauthorized access to the sensitive data within the enterprise. Like the other Firewalls, Fortinet Firewall is also responsible for determining which traffic to allow into the network and not allow the malicious one.
FREE Demo Class From Industry Experts - Enroll Now.!! Fortinet Training
An enterprise should always hold a firewall to maintain security to the data and work related to the organization. It is also important that the configuration is done appropriately; it includes many different things during the configuration process because of the firewall configuration service.
Most of the organizations are looking for the top security to their enterprise or organizational data. For such organizations, Fortinet is one of the best choices which is affordable and available at a reasonable price point with improved performance, finalizing it to be the most popular firewall in the current era of Living.
Features of Fortinet firewall
Every tool or platform had phone features embedded in the system. Fortinet has come up with its extensive features which help the organizations to maintain the security and manage the business efficiently without any security attacks for malicious attacks to the data of the networks. Let us have a brief review of the features that are applicable within the Fortinet firewall.
Security fabric integration: Fortinet has come up with a feature that includes security fabric integration that involves sharing of the threats across the entire IT security infrastructure. This will allow us to provide a quick response for the attacks or automated protection which would help in reducing the risk before spreads along with the different networks.
Enterprise-class security management: Fortinet is responsible for managing the security assets regardless of the location. It is essential for the organization and the administration to look after the security assets as they play a vital role in an organization. Hence, Fortinet is is providing a solution to perform the management of the security assets in the most reliable and compatible way.
If you want to Explore more about Fortinet? then read our updated article - Fortinet Tutorial
Security ratings: Fortinet is a platform that adopts the best practices, which includes the security measures, along with the security rating provided by Fortigate.
Independently certified and continuous threat intelligence: Fortinet is taking the responsibility of ensuring that you are protected, or the network is protected from known or unknown attacks. It is responsible for minimizing The attacks, protecting from the attacks, for malicious systems.
Automated risk assessments: This is one of the essential features provided by Fortinet as it would help in following an automated workflow and auditing features which would minimize the burden to the IT Department.
Mission critical application protection: Fortinet firewall responsible for developing and implementing a highly scalable segmentation along with the Ultra-low latency to provide and protect the network segment from different attacks or unauthorized access.
High-performance threat protection: The Fortinet firewall has come up with additional features like web filtering application, anti-virus control which would help in protecting your business from cybersecurity threats such as social engineering and malware.
Setup of Fortinet Firewall
Below are the steps to be followed to set up the Fortinet Firewall access to the internet.
1. Log in to the FortiGate web-based manager: You will need to log in using an admin account. The admin account holder has the user name as admin, and there will not be any set password for it.
Click here to get latest Fortinet interview questions and answers for 2020
2. Configuration of the internal and Wan interfaces:
You will need to go to system - m -> network--> interfaces.
Click on configure the Wan interface along with the options when you need to select the manual option in the addressing mode along with the IP Network.
When you configure the internal interface, then you need to enable DHCP instead of manual. You also need to assign the Mac address and IP address of the administrator PC and the Mac address access control list. You will need to review the configuration then.
3. Configuration of the default route: Once done you need to configure the default route at: Router-->Static -> Static routes. W to set the destination IP/Mask to 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0. The device should be set up to the internet-facing interface, and the Gateway should be set up to the Gateway provided by your internet service provider. Then you need to review the configuration that you have setup.
4.Configure DNS setting:
You can also keep the DNS setting to the default based on your wish.
Configure the policies:
You are allowed to create two policies in this particular scenario; they are general policy: General policy refers to the internet access that is restricted.
Administrative PC policy: Understand internet access can be provided.
Let us have a brief review of each policy:
In the general policy, It only allows HTTP, HTTPS, DNS services, you will need to enable the NAT and session logging.
In the administrator policy, you will need to create a new address for the admin PC by navigating to Firewall objects --> Address.
Appropriate interface and the subject number have to be selected and configured. You will need to review the creator's address then. Create the policy for the admin PC. You are also allowed to test policy configuration by accessing the internet using the admin PC and even from another PC in the network. You can be the changes between the two different policies.
Configuration of Fortinet Firewall
There are two different parts in the configuration of the Fortinet firewall let us have a brief review about the other parts in the configuration.
Part-1: Configuring interfaces
1. You will need to power on the device and make sure the ethernet cable is connected to the WAN2 point on the firewall.
2. To configure the connection on the Wan 2 port, you will need to double click on the Wan 2 interface by navigating to the network --> interfaces Screen.
3. Now it's your turn to select our set up the address mode to manual, this will copy the IP settings over. You will need to enable any services to enable the remote access from the connection in case of any failover.
Part 2: Configuring the routing:
1. You will need to edit a default static route for WAN 1. When you click on the advanced options, you will be allowed to set up the priority to 0.
2. You need to create a new default static route for Wan 2. Unity navigates to the advanced options and sets the priority to 10.
3. Next step is to add a new one status check item which helps in checking the primary internet connections to make sure that it is online. You will need to configure this from the command line interface.
4. If the firewall is making use of the standard routing, then you will need to use a static route to configure the connection validation for the iStatus.
5. Click on create new on the network --> routing page to create a new static route and configure the same. It would help if you made sure that the Gateway IP address is used.
6. If your Firewall is using the advanced router, then you can either use a static route or a policy route to perform the configuration. You need to click on the create new on the network --> policy rout's page to create a new policy route.
7. Steps to configure the policy route when you need to specify the source address/ Mask instead use the local LAN network where the iStatus device is plugged in. You need to specify the default gateway as well.
8. Once done, the policy rules will be in place to allow the traffic to flow out via the wan2 Interface on the firewall.
Benefits of Fortinet firewall
The following are the benefits of the Fortinet firewall.
1. Stop the virus attacks: Fortinet firewalls have the capability or ability to control the system entry points and stop the virus attacks.
2. Prevent hacking: As we deal with multiple digital operations, who invite the bad actors of themes to do the same. Fortinet is responsible for preventing hackers from gaining or providing unauthorized access to users, data, email systems. The Fortinet Firewall is responsible for completely stopping the hacker and detecting them quickly.
3. Monitoring the network traffic: Fortinet is responsible for monitoring and analyzing network traffic, capable of managing the production levels based on what you are actually seeing and coming out through the firewall.
4. Stops spyware: Fortinet is capable of stopping by spyware from gaining access and getting into the works systems. The Fortinet Firewall is served as an essential blockade against different malicious programs.
Dealing with data which is in huge amounts is primarily the biggest aspect to be focussed by every organization. Firewalls play an important role in protecting the data and the network from unauthorized access and attacks. The organizations are looking for individuals you are trained and certified, having in-depth knowledge about the security firewalls. Hence, I would recommend you to get trained and certified in the security firewalls, which would help you in developing an advanced career.
A technical lead content writer in HKR Trainings with an expertise in delivering content on the market demanding technologies like Networking, Storage & Virtualization,Cyber Security & SIEM Tools, Server Administration, Operating System & Administration, IAM Tools, Cloud Computing, etc. She does a great job in creating wonderful content for the users and always keeps updated with the latest trends in the market. To know more information connect her on Linkedin, Twitter, and Facebook.
Upcoming Fortinet Training Online classes
|Batch starts on 6th Oct 2023||
|Batch starts on 10th Oct 2023||
|Batch starts on 14th Oct 2023||