SCCM Client Installation
Last updated on Dec Fri, 2022 5126
- by Manikanth
Introduction to SCCM
Microsoft system center configuration manager (SCCM) is a Microsoft product developed to manage and update the software products. SCCM configuration manager provides a highly flexible, automated solutions to the full deploy and configures personal desktops, laptops from any initial state, including bare-metal deployments. This enables IT, administrators, to provide an end-to-end solution for the installation and configuration of windows, by delivering the applications, updated patches, and security fixes in a single distribution.This also allows a large number of computers can run on many operating systems. The operating systems may be Windows, Linux, UNIX, and IOS.
Get ahead in your career by learning SCCM through hkrtrainings Microsoft SCCM Online Course
SCCM: Installation Guide
The following are steps involved in the installation of SCCM 2012 R2, which will ease the user tasks. Initially, we need to install the primary server approach and also SQL server, these servers will be located on the same device.
Step1: Prepare active directory for configuration manager
a) Create the system management container:
Navigation: connect to the domain controller-> load ADSI file -> edit it ->go to system OU-> create new object
Choose the container and click next.
Enter the name of system management and click next
b)Complete the wizard browser and close the ADSI editor.
Now pass the system control to the configuration system server to the newly created system configurator object, this can be done by using the navigation, choose the folder -> existing object -> create the new objects.
Check all the boxes (use the right tick) and complete the browser wizard.
Step2: Extend the system configuration Schema:
The navigation is as follows; go to the path \SMSSetup\bin\x64\ to the folder control domain which holds the system schema rules. Make sure that the account is used as a schema member of the admins’ group in AD. Now just right click on the Extadsch.exe and choose “Run as an administrator”.
Log into Extadsch.log file-> it will take you to the root, C: Drive. Check for the entry then you will notify with a message as “successfully extended to the active schema director”.
<02-02-2013 23:21:22=""> successfully extended the schema directory.
To check the activity of extadsch.exe -> go to the directory file “ConfigMgr_ad_schema.idf” that is located in the same folder in the system.
Step 3: Install the Site server prerequisites:
The following are the important features that need to be installed on to the SCCM site server management:
b. Access the remote differential compression
c. .NET framework 3.5
d. IIS components.
Step 4: Install the window assessments and Deploy kits (Windows ADK):
Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id = 39982 and now download ADK 8.1:
a. Run the executable file adksetup.exe file -> accept the license agreements -> it will download and install the.Net framework 4.5.
Now restart the system when you accessed,
If you have any doubts on SCCM, then get them clarified from SCCM Industry experts on our SCCM Tutorial !
After that system setup will resume-> accept the default location-> click next.
Select to join the CEIP -> click next
Now accept the license agreements
Install the component and click the “install” button
- User state migration tools
- Windows deployment tools
- Windows pre installment environment (windows PE).
Once they complete the installation and click close.
Step 5: Install the SQL server:
The SQL Server 2012 will be installed as the SCCM database:
Run the executable file -> setup.exe
Install stand-alone SQL database server
Click OK-> it will open the new browser;
Install the product key -> run in evaluation mode -> click next
Accept the SQL license agreement -> click next -> add any product updates-> click next -> now it’s time to choose the installation features -> click next
Set SQL to run with adding an appropriate domain name, network service, and local system account.
Step6: Install the SCCM R12:
1. Run the splash.hta -> click install
Now click next
Choose to install the primary site-> click next
Enter the license key->click next
Now accept the license key -> click next
Accept the pre-required license agreement->click next
Create any file solder to store the installation updates and Store the SCCM executable file in any folder-> click next
Updates will download -> installation begins-> select any language for the SCCM server-> click next.
Choose any client language-> click next-> enter the 3 digit site code and add the description.
Choose to run SCCM installation as a stand-alone -> click next
Click yes to accept -> select the default database server configuration-> click next.
Now specify the path to store the SQL database server and log files-> click next to set the current server -> set the configure the communication on each site system role”-> next install both MP and DP -> site server -> SCCM will begin the installation-> close the browser when it completes.
Launch the SCCM console -> make sure that all the database entries you have done are right -> start monitoring the workspace -> site status.
This finishes the installation process of SCCM.
Functionalities of SCCM:
The updated version of SCCM software adds much functionality to the applications. Let me explain them one by one;
Under the site infrastructure we can see the following features;
- Site infrastructure’s client peer cache will support the updating of files for Microsoft office 365 and distributed express installed files for configuration of Microsoft Windows 10.
- With the addition to this, there are few functionalities available such as,
- Ctrl + D -> this keyword indicates the detailed panel
- Ctrl +I -> this keyword indicates the breadcrumb bar
- Ctrl + L -> this keyword indicates the search field
- Ctrl + M -> this keyword indicates the main central panel
- Ctrl + T -> this indicates the top node in the navigation panel.
- This central administration site and primary configuration sites both include the configuration manager updates. Rest tolls will be used for downloading or replicating problems.
- With the help of this update, the configuration console manager can be measured and display them on the user interface applications.
Related article : SCCM Deployment
The settings are as follows;
- Password -> device encryption
- Device ->
- Modification of device name
- Modification of region settings (only desktops)
- Language setting modifications
- Modification of power and sleep settings
- Modification of system time and language settings
- Storage -> it uses only the private storage
- Auto-update available for the apps
- Available store-oriented app launch
In this application management configuration setting, users can deploy the scripts to manage the client devices in the form of packages and programming codes. The following actions included are,
- Users can run the script on-premises managed windows and windows client PCs.Here no need to deploy the scripts, they only run in real-time client devices.
- Importing of PowerShell scripts to the system configuration manager
- Edit the whole script from the system configuration console.
- Need to mark the scripts whether it is approved or denied
- Finally, examine the results which will return the script in the configuration manager console.
Operating system deployment:
- Collapsible task sequence groups: this deployment version will expand and collapse the task management, sequence groups. Here user can expand or collapse all the groups or individual groups at once.
- Hardware inventory collects the secured boot information: this hardware inventory collects information such as client enabled boot data. This information will be stored in the SMS_firmware class and enabled in the hardware inventory by default.
Improvements to express the update download time:
In this release version, SCCM has significantly improved the download time for the express updates.
Manage Microsoft Surface driver updates:
Here user can use the configuration manager to manage any Microsoft software driver updates.
Configure Windows Update for Business deferral policies:
Now you can configure the whole deferral policies for windows 10 quality features and also quality updates for the windows 10 software devices. This will manages the windows updates directly which will be used for the business later. You can manage the business referral policies in any newly updated system as follows; Software library -> Windows 10 servicing.
Improved user notifications for Microsoft office 365 Updates:
Improvements will be made to leverage the Microsoft office click-to-run user experience when a client installs new office 365b software updates. This update should consist of pop-up and in-app notifications.
Using windows Analytics with configuration manager:
Windows analytics is nothing but a collection of solutions that run on the Microsoft operational management suite. This solution allows users to form any kind of insight into the current state of the software environment. Devices in the software environment also report the telemetry data. The data can be accessed through the operations management suite web portals.
Mobile device management:
Updates to Android devices for work-sharing configuration management:
In this release version, you will be allowed to share the data between work and personal profiles through work profile settings.
Android and IOS enrollment restrictions:
Here users can be allowed to specify the enrollment in any personal Android or IOS devices. With the Android devices, there is a limit restriction on enrollment but with the IOS devices, users can easily block the enrollment with the help of Apple device enrollment settings.
Newly software update includes the specific trust files and data folders options in Device Guard policy settings. And also advanced capabilities are added to this device guard policy management.
Advantages of SCCM:
There are a lot of advantages of using SCCM, let me explain them one by one,
- Microsoft system center configuration manager helps you to empower people to use the devices and applications they need to be productive while maintaining corporate compliance and control management.
- SCCM is available in the form of a unified infrastructure that gives the single pane of glass to manage physical, virtual, and mobile events.
- Offers tools and comprehensive solutions for change and configuration management for the Microsoft platform,enabling organizations to provide relevant software and updates to users quickly and cost-effective.
- SCCM collects the hardware and software inventory distributing.
- Distributing and installing software applications.
- Distributing and installing updates to the software. E.g. Security fixes
- Deploying the operating system
- Metering software usage.
- By an affordable comprehensive IT management solution
- Track database growth in SQL server database
- Remotely controlling computers to provide troubleshooting support
- Gain visibility into your IT environment
- By an affordable comprehensive IT management solution.
In this blog, I have tried my best to explain the key factors involved in installing SCCM software and its advantage. SCCM is a popular Microsoft product; SCCM is used to update system management. The complete SCCM installation guide enables you to become a master in this. This blog may help a few of those who are Windows server professionals, and also for Microsoft social community forums.
As a Senior Writer for HKR Trainings, Sai Manikanth has a great understanding of today’s data-driven environment, which includes key aspects such as Business Intelligence and data management. He manages the task of creating great content in the areas of Digital Marketing, Content Management, Project Management & Methodologies, Product Lifecycle Management Tools. Connect with him on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Upcoming SCCM Training Online classes
|Batch starts on 6th Oct 2023||
|Batch starts on 10th Oct 2023||
|Batch starts on 14th Oct 2023||