As of 2020, we live in a world of applications, different types with different custom related options. The organizations striving hard to meet the client requirements as there is an increase in building the applications. Hence, the business organizations are looking for platforms that would help build the applications recently by meeting and requirements within the given time deadlines. Visualforce in Salesforce is one platform that allows the organizations by making the applications and performing the database related operations efficiently. In this article, you will understand the vision force in Salesforce, its architecture, the creation of visual force pages, and its benefits.
Visualforce in Salesforce refers to a designed and implemented framework, allowing the developers to build custom user interfaces and sophisticated interfaces that can be hosted On The Lightning platform natively. Visualforce is also a Framework that includes a tag-based markup language. It is quite similar to the HTML (hypertext markup language) and the standards controllers from the server-side. All these are used to perform the database operations, like database queries, saving of information, etc.
In simple terms, Visualforce is the markup language or tag-based language which is similar to both HTML and XML language and is developed by salesforce.com. Salesforce Visualforce includes action controllers. The tags are referred to as components as well. Visualforce makes use of the XML like syntax to create differently and designing of the pages and utilizes the Apex for the backend implementation of the business logic.
In Visualforce, each Visualforce tag is corresponding to a fine-grained component. It could be either a related list, field, or a section of the page. Visualforce in Salesforce maintains a behavior that allows the visualforce components to be controlled. They can either be controlled by using the same logic that is used in the standard Salesforce pages, or developers are allowed to create their own logic with the controller class that is most commonly written in Apex.
Let us gain an understanding of the architecture of Visualforce in Salesforce. The below diagram represents the architecture of Visualforce. It helps us to understand how the actual process goes when the developer creates a page when a user requests any page.
After the developer completes writing the Visualforce page and saves to the platform, the next action is with the platform application server. The platform application server will try to compile the markup into an abstract set of instructions that can be easily understood by the visual force renderer. Once the compilation is done, if there are any errors generated, the save will be aborted, and the errors generated will be reported to the developer. If there are no errors then instructions will be saved in the metadata repository and will be sent to the visual force renderer. The responsibility of the render is to turn the instructions into HTML language, refresh the developers view along with providing instantaneous feedback. This feedback includes the changes that were made in the markup.
The above diagram will help you in gaining an understanding about how the process flow when the non-developer user requests a Visualforce page. As the pages already compiled into the instructions, the application server will be responsible for retrieving the page from the metadata repository and send the same to the visual force render for the conversion into HTML language.
As developers play the key role in the organisation, the developers are allowed to use Visualforce in order to create a visualforce page definition. There are two different elements in the page definition. They are:
1. Visualforce markup and
2. visualforce controller
Let us gain an understanding about each element briefly.
Visualforce controllers: The visualforce controller refers to the set of instructions that have been used to specify what exactly happens when the user interacts with particular components at a specified point in the associated visualforce markup. The action could be either when the user clicks a button or a link. The controllers also provide the flexibility to access the data and also modify the component behaviour that are usually displayed in a page.
Create a visualforce page in the Developer Console. Here is a step-by-step guide that will help you in creating the visualforce page.
1. Navigate to the link Developer Console. Click on the options File -> New -> Visualforce Page. A new window will appear asking for a page name. You will need to name the page. You will need to write below.
Click on save followed by preview. This will give you a new page which will result in the following screenshot.
Adding of components:
The next part is to add the components to the program that you have already created. Let us learn about how to add some user interface components to the program that is created.
You will be able to add a block and a section in that block using the following code that is represented below.
Once you click on preview, the below output will be appearing.
Visualforce has advantages of services, allowing the users to utilize and help the organizational developers.
1. User-friendly development: Using Visualforce, the developers are allowed to edit the visual force markup within the same page displayed along with the resulting page. It also helps the developers instantly verify the added result that was just saved in the code. Visualforce consists of the editor pane that loves Syntax highlighting and autocompletion. It also provides extensive support for quick fixes, which helps developers create the components immediately as and when required.
2. Model view controller style development: Visualforce comes up with a model view controller development pattern that helps provide a clear vision about the view of the application and the controller that determines how the application would work. It was an architecture that would love the designers and the developers to spread the work among themselves by Building New applications. The designers are also allowed to focus on the look and feel of the user interface by the developers involved in working on the business logic that helps in driving the application.
4. Data-driven defaults: Visualforce components are rendered intelligently by the platform and display the appropriate interface for every field.
5. Concise syntax: Visualforce pages are responsible for implementing the same functionality by utilizing 90% of code lines.
6. Automatically upgradeable: There is no need to write the Visualforce pages repeatedly when the other parts of the lightning platform are upgraded. The pages are represented and stored in the metadata. They are also upgraded automatically along with the other part of the system.
Visualforce in Salesforce is the platform that helps organizations deal with all the database operations and the development of the applications. As every organization is involved in working with the applications, an individual must have an idea about different platforms in Salesforce. Hence I would recommend you to get trained and certified in Salesforce, which would help you develop a better career ahead.
Batch starts on 31st Jul 2021, Weekend batch
Batch starts on 4th Aug 2021, Weekday batch
Batch starts on 8th Aug 2021, Weekend batch