Are you ready to know the key differences between SCCM and WSUS? As we know that Microsoft Corporation is a top multinational software company, which offers many services like software developments, manufacturers, and sells software as well hardware products such as a personal computer, software services, electronic devices, and related things. Microsoft 360, Microsoft windows, and internet explorer are the popular product of Microsoft Corporations. SCCM and WSUS are also important products developed by Microsoft; SCCM is used for managing systems whereas WSUS is used for package management and Administration tasks. Let’s know the main differences between SCCM and WSUS
Microsoft system center configuration manager (SCCM) is a Microsoft product developed to manage and update the software products. SCCM configuration manager provides a highly flexible, automated solution to the full deploy and configures personal desktops, laptops from any initial state, including bare-metal deployments. This enables IT, administrators, to provide an end-to-end solution for the installation and configuration of windows, by delivering the applications, updated patches, and security fixes in a single distribution. This also allows a large number of computers can run on many operating systems. The operating systems may be Windows, Linux, UNIX, and IOS.
Get ahead in your career by learning SCCM through hkrtrainings Microsoft SCCM online course
Windows software update system is also a product of Microsoft Corporations. Previously it was known as software updates services. WSUS is a computer program and network service system developed to enables the administrators to manage the software update distributions and also serves as a hotfix for the recent release of Microsoft products to computers to work effectively in various corporate environments. WSUS is considered to be an essential product for all the Windows Microsoft servers. WSUS helps to update the connected computer devices once you download it from Microsoft. The various functions of WSUS are such as, Critical updating, Software security updates, and service pack drivers, etc.
Now it’s time to know the main difference between the SCCM and WSUS:
|A software update service developed by Microsoft Corporation that enables the administrators to manage the distribution of updates and hotfix released for Microsoft products to the computer in corporate environments||A systems management software of Microsoft that manages a large group of computers running on various operating systems|
|Stands for windows server update services||Stands for system center configuration manager|
|Package management and remote administration software||A system management software|
|Mainly updates the distributions to the connected services in the network||Mainly perform system managements|
|Basic software information is included as a part of the application||Basic software information is included as a part of the package|
|Extended software and support information as a part of the application||Extended software and support information as a part of the package|
|Software command options are used in the form of deployment types||Software command options are used in the form of programs|
|Multiple deployment options- a single application can contain multiple deployment types||Multiple deployment options – a can contain multiple programs|
|Deployment takes place in the form of application||Deployment takes place in the form of package and programs|
|Deployment type used based on requirements||Only one program per deployment|
|Revision history is maintained||Revision history is not maintained|
|Programming of additional software code in an open interface||Develop a statistical function for calculating particular metrics|
The technical advantage of cache SCCM management :
There are a lot of advantages of using SCCM, let me explain them one by one,
· Microsoft system center configuration manager helps you to empower people to use the devices and applications they need to be productive while maintaining corporate compliance and control management.
· SCCM is available in the form of a unified infrastructure that gives the single pane of glass to manage physical, virtual, and mobile events.
· Offers tools and comprehensive solutions for change and configuration management for the Microsoft platform, enabling organizations to provide relevant software and updates to users quickly and cost-effective.
· SCCM collects the hardware and software inventory distributing.
· Distributing and installing software applications.
· Distributing and installing updates to the software. E.g. Security fixes
· Deploying the operating system
· Metering software usage.
· By an affordable comprehensive IT management solution
· Track database growth in SQL server database
· Remotely controlling computers to provide troubleshooting support
· Gain visibility into your IT environment
· By an affordable comprehensive IT management solution.
[Related article: Sccm Tutorial]
The Technical Advantages of Cache WSUS management:
The following are the primary advantage of WSUS;
· Offers more updates for Microsoft products
· Ability to automatically download updates from Microsoft update by product and type
· Additional language support for the customers worldwide (18 different languages)
· Maximized bandwidth efficiency through background intelligent transfer services (BITS)
· Ability to verify that updates are suitable for each computer before installation (this future runs automatically for critical and security updates)
· Flexible deployment options
· Reporting capabilities
· Flexible database options
· Data migration and import/export capabilities
· Extensibility through the application programming interface (API)
· Better options for client configuration.
SCCM Patch Management:
SCCM patch management provides a suite of endpoint protection tools and, with the correct configuration can operate as a full life cycle management system for IT departments with a high number of windows systems. Non-windows systems like MAC, Linux, UNIX, Symbian, and others, can be still managed through SCCM as the end-clients, although this process still requires a server to run.
WSUS patch management:
WSUS Patch management is the process of testing, acquiring, and installing patches (code changes) on a computer system that uses WSUS. WSUS was previously known as Software update services is a computer program and network services developed by Microsoft Corporations that enables administrators to manage the distribution of updates and hotfixes released for Microsoft products to computers in a corporate environment.
In this blog, I have tried my best to explain the key differences between SCCM and WSUS, their advantages, and installation guidance. SCCM and WSUS both are Microsoft products; SCCM is used to update the system management whereas WSUS is used to update the packages and administrative tasks. This blog may help a few of those who are Windows server professionals, and also for Microsoft social community forums.
Other related article:
5th April | 08:00 AM