Last updated on Nov 07, 2023
CommVault is an information and management solution that offers to protect and manage your business data. CommVault is a publicly traded software company founded in the year 1988, headquarter is in the United States of America. This software can be widely used for data backup, recovery data, cloud management, infrastructure, and compliance services. CommVault, which is formerly known as Simpana, this software enables us to access and use their data anywhere and anytime, turning the data into a powerful strategic asset. This software solution also optimizes the data protection for the broad Netapp storage portfolio and many organize uses the CommVault as a backup server for data recovery and data duplication purposes.
Start learning Commvault course from hkrtrainings & make a bright career in the world of Commvault!
With help of the CommVault data base, users can perform data duplication from backup applications, or the active database. A duplicate database in CommVault is just a copy or target database, this consists of a unique database identifier (DBID). This unique ID is independent of the primary database source and registered in the same recovery catalog tool as the primary database source. Users can also create the database duplication for testing or demonstration purposes. One important point should be considered here if you want to duplicate your data no backup is required for this task. As is said earlier database duplication in CommVault is just a copy of the current database or target database. This type of duplication can also be performed on the same or different hosts but they should have configured instances. When you perform database duplication, you can configure the system to mask the data on the destination.
User can perform Database duplication in CommVault, without connecting them to the target database in two ways;
1. The targeted database is on a different network than the destination database.
2. When the target database is not reachable.
Below are the important dialog box options are available to perform database duplication in CommVault:
1. Duplicate to: this dialog box enables you to create a duplicate database that has different configurations than the target database. This option allows you to configure the duplicate database.
2. Skip read only: this dialog box option specifies the read only tablespaces that will be available to check the consistency.
3. Open restricted: this dialog box specifies whether you need to open the duplicate database in restricted mode.
4. Database name: this dialog box option helps you to create the database name.
5. Pfile: this is a type of database used to specify the location of the available STARTUP PFILE, and this file also used to start up the duplicate database.
6. Browse: this option is used to browse the STARTUP PFILE.
7. Skip Table Space: this type of dialog box is used to check whether to exclude the selected table spaces in the duplicate database source.
8. Refresh: use this option to refresh the tablespace display panel.
9. Log File: this dialog box specifies whether you need to create new online logs for the duplicate database. With the help of this option, you can only create redo log files and log file groups.
10. Group: this dialog box specifies the group members available in redo log files. This dialog box also helps you to add any entries, edit the already existing entry or delete them by clicking this button.
11. File: this option indicates the name of the file available for the redo log. Here you can also add specifications for an online redo log file.
12. Group number: this dialog box option specifies the number of online redo log files.
13. Size: used to display the size of online redo log files.
14. Reuse: this dialog box option is used to reuse existing files.
15. File name: this allows you to give a name for online redo log files.
Important factors will be considered before performing database duplication in CommVault:
Below are the important points to be considered before performing database duplication in CommVault:
1. You need to perform a full backup operation; this may include database log files or the original database files.
2. You need to create an auxiliary instance for the duplicate database.
3. When you on the destination host, you need to add an instance on the CommCell console.
4. Run the database check on the auxiliary client instance to check whether the instances are ready for backup and restore mechanisms.
5. Mask the data on the available database and create the mask policy. (This method is optional).
The following are the steps involved to perform database duplication;
1. Go to the CommCell browser -> select client computers -> client -> then choose Oracle.
2. Now right click on the instance, then go to the all tasks -> then browse and restore the database.
Then you can see the browse and restore browser will be appeared.
3. Now choose the latest backup option -> click the view content button.
4. Select the appropriate database –> then click the recover all data button.
Now the Oracle restore option dialog box will appear.
5. Click the RMAN duplicate Database option -> then click the next button.
The oracle RMAN Duplicate DB option dialog box will be disappeared.
6. Now choose the destination client from the list.
7. To get the latest database status, then click refresh.
8. In the duplicate to select the destination instance box.
9. Go to the number of streams to use for the restore dialog box-> specify the number of streams to be used for the restore.
10. Now select the duplicate to.
a. if you want to skip the read-only tables -> select the Skip read-only dialog box.
b. If you want to open the database in restricted mode -> then select the open restricted check box.
c. Now in the PFILE box, type the name of the startup parameter file which is available for the duplicate database, or now you can browse the location.
11. By default, Oracle RMAN verifies the data files on the data source and target database which do not contain the same names. If you want to allow the source data file and target database which contains the same name, select the No filename check dialog box. Then this option enables the Oracle Notification check box.
12. If the user doesn’t want to work with the CommVault software to restore the failed backup piece, then select the Disable Oracle Channel resource failover option. This checkbox is selected by the default system to allow database corruption browser will be detected.
13. Verify that the Duplicate from the Active Database check box is not selected.
14. If you want your database system to refer to the targeted database control files from the recovery catalog database -> select the NO CATALOG (you have already selected by default).
15. If you want your database systems to refer to the recovery catalog database -> Unselect NO CATALOG. This option will activate the below items they are;
a. To create the duplicate database system without connecting it to the target database. Then you need to select the Skip target connection dialog box.
b. In the Catalog connect box -> enter the Oracle catalog connection using credentials. For example; if the data source instance uses ‘/’ as a connection string or instant properties details tab, connect string. Use the following command Use sys /
1. Enter the catalog user name.
2. Enter the Oracle Service name.
3. Enter the catalog user password.
16. Now it’s time to click advanced.
This opens the Oracle Duplicate options dialog box.
Click here to get lates Commvault interview Questions and answers for 2020
17. Optional: this is an optional step used to mask the CommVault software data on the destination instance.
a. Go to the general tab and then select the Mask sensitive data check box.
b. From the data masking policy list -> choose the policy to mask the sensitive data.
18. Optional step: if you don’t want to use the DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT option to restore all the data types and temporary files to a different directory structure from the source database. Then on the redirected tab -> choose the redirect data set.
a. if you want to redirect all the data files-> choose the Redirect All tablespaces/database to and type the path or browser.
b. If you want to redirect temporary data files -> choose the redirect temp tablespaces and type the path file and browse it.
19. This is an optional method: if you want to create the redo log file for the database duplicates, go to the duplicate database option tab -> choose the duplicate them to the log files.
20. This is an optional method: If your backup data is corrupted, and those data will be restored from a storage policy copy instead of using the backup. If you want to perform the copy precedence tab -> select the restore from the copy precedence dialog box -> then enter a copy precedence number.
21. Now you have to click the OK button-> this will close the Oracle duplicate options dialog box.
The Oracle RMAN duplicate DB options dialog box appears.
22. User needs to verify that the status of the duplicate database which will be started -> click Refresh.
23. Optional: Now the user needs to view or Customize the RMAN script which will be generated from the selected options.
24. Finally click “OK” to start the restoration process.
In this article, you will get in-depth knowledge on CommVault duplications and how to apply them in the database. CommVault is a cross-functional platform which enables the user to protect data, restore, data recovery, and backup data. As per Gartner’s report, CommVault has been emerging as one of the popular back-up technologies available in the current market. This article may help a few of CommVault social community forums and also Oracle database experts.
A technical lead content writer in HKR Trainings with an expertise in delivering content on the market demanding technologies like Networking, Storage & Virtualization,Cyber Security & SIEM Tools, Server Administration, Operating System & Administration, IAM Tools, Cloud Computing, etc. She does a great job in creating wonderful content for the users and always keeps updated with the latest trends in the market. To know more information connect her on Linkedin, Twitter, and Facebook.
|Batch starts on 1st Mar 2024
|Batch starts on 5th Mar 2024
|Batch starts on 9th Mar 2024