1. What is Power BI?
Ans: It is a data visualization tool and business intelligence that helps us in data conversion from various data sources such as BI reports and interactive dashboards. Power BI offers various services and connectors of Software.
2. What is the use of Power BI?
Ans: The given below are some important uses of Power BI.
- It provides SaaS solution reports and pre-built dashboards.
- It permits the dashboard to update in real-time.
- It provides connections for our data sources securely in the cloud.
- By using power BI, we can experience hybrid configuration, fast deployment, secure environment, etc.
- It helps us in our data exploring through natural language query.
3. List out the essential components of Power BI components?
Ans: The following are some essential components of Power BI.
- Integration of data
- Processing of data
- Presentation of data
4. Define the term Dax function?
Ans: Dax is an expression language of formula that may utilize various visualizations such as Power BI. It is also named functional language, which keeps the complete code inside a function.
5. Mention various kinds of Dax.
Ans: The given below are data types of Dax.
- Data time
6. List out some critical applications of Power BI.
Ans: The following are some essential applications, which use Power BI.
- Project management office of PMO
- Data and business analyst
- Database administrator and developer
- IT professional and IT team
- End-user report consumer
- Data scientist
7. What are the disadvantages of Power BI?
Ans: Along with advantages, there are some drawbacks; the given below are essential drawbacks of Power BI.
- Only users with identical email domains get reports and dashboards.
- It doesn't combine imported data and is accessed from connections of real-time.
- It can't allow large files, which are 1GB in size.
- The dashboards of Power BI do not allow the entity parameters along with account and pass user.
8. Mention any three essential tools of Power BI.
Ans: The following are three essential tools of Power BI.
- The desktop of Power BI: It is handy for desktop computers.
- Service of Power BI: It is a kind of service tool, which is online Software.
- Apps of mobile Power BI: They are accommodating for the devices of Android and IOS.
9. What are the essential components of the Power BI toolkit?
Ans: The given below are some essential components of the Power BI toolkit.
- Power Query: It permits us to identify, control and consolidate the information from various sources.
- Power Pivot: It is a kind of a modeling tool.
- Power View: Power View is a presentation tool for chart creation, table designing, and more.
- Power map: It uses us for geospatial representations creation of our data.
- Power Q&A: Power Q&A permits us to utilize natural languages for getting answers and questions.
10. List Out the available kinds of data types in Power BI.
Ans: The given below are some essential data sources that are available on the desktop of Power BI.
- Power BI
- Online services
11. Describe grouping and its use.
Ans: The desktop of Power BI permits us to group the information as mini chunks, and we can utilize Ctrl+ to choose various visual elements that help us in a grouping. Give right-click for those elements that appear in the windows of groups.
Power BI Training
- Master Your Craft
- Lifetime LMS & Faculty Access
- 24/7 online expert support
- Real-world & Project Based Learning
12. What are responsive slicers?
Ans: We can resize a responsive slicer into various sizes and shapes simply on the page of the report. The data included in it is rescheduled according to our requirements. When visuals became very small in size to use, the icon displays visuals' capability in its place. This process also saves a lot of space on the page of the report.
13. What is M language?
Ans: M language is a kind of programming language, which is very helpful in Power query; it is sensitive and functional. This language is similar to all other programming languages, and it is easy to utilize.
14. What is the essential information required for map creation in the Power map?
Ans: Power maps may expose the visualizations, and those visualizations are geographical. This is why location data requirements are like state, city, country, latitude, longitude, etc.
15. List out some essential features of Power BI dashboards.
Ans: The given below are some essential features of Power BI dashboards.
- It permits us to drill through a selection page, bookmarks, page, etc.
- Power BI dashboards permit us to design different tiles such as images, web content, integrate URLs, textbox, etc.
- It permits us to fix the layout of the report to mobile view.
16. Explain the steps for the data stories gallery in Power BI communities?
Ans: The given below are the steps for the data story gallery in Power BI communities.
- First, we need to open PowerBI.com from our favorite browser.
- By hovering on learn.
- Select the option community
- In the down, we found the data story gallery.
- Here all are permitted to submit their data story as well.
17. Define Power Pivot.
Ans: It is a kind of in-memory component that provides high storage for compressed data; it helps us in data model building, formulas designing, relationship, and column calculations from various resources. And the filters of this Power pivot are applicable in the given levels.
- Level of visualization
- Level of pages
- Level of report
18. How to perform dynamic filtering in Power BI?
Ans: The Power BI dynamic filtering has happened through the given steps.
- After the completion of the data setup, we need to submit the detailed report to Power BI.
- Then we need to publish it into a group workspace.
- Design a filter link.
- Design a calculated column of a DAX.
- Finally, we can publish the report of overview.
Power BI Interview Questions for Intermediates
19. How to analyze Power BI reports data in excel?
Ans: We are required to follow the steps given below.
- First, we need to open the admin portal of Power BI, then need to go for tenant settings > select>Analyze.
- Ensures that the administrator of Power BI enables the options of excel or not.
- In the next step on the right corner, select the settings and install the excel updates.
- And then need to go to the left side navigation pane>workspace> dataset>eclipses.
- Later analyze in excel
- Install ODC file, then by double-clicking save it.
- Finally, it requires giving user ID and password for Power BI.
20. Share your knowledge on the advantages of using variables in DAX?
Ans; With variables of DAX, we can have various advantages; the given below are some of them.
- We can reuse the variables multiple times in DAX expression with the help of variable evaluation. That helps us to remove the source database queries.
- By using these variables, we can turn DAX expressions as more logical.'
- They are scoped to measure, which cant be in measures.
21. Why use a selection pane in Power BI?
Ans: They help to gain control of visuals that need to be exposed; it also permits us to unit the pages of; multiple visuals in the group and utilizes them in bookmarking.
22. Bring out the significant differences between old and new versions of the power bi tool?
Ans: The Power BIs latest version includes many robust features, and it is popularly known as the Power BI desktop. It looks like an all one solution for various tools like pivot view, power pivot, and power query. It provides various add-ins for excel, which made visualizations much better.
23. Is the power BI provides a free version?
Ans: We can use Power BI without cost, but we need to take the pro subscriptions account when we utilize the complete power bi features. By using this account of subscription, we can experience an enhanced version with various features. It also contains the features available in the accessible version of Power BI.
24. Which kind of data is suitable for Power BI storage?
Ans: Generally, we can store two essential kinds of data as given below.
Fact tables: The fact table is a kind of central table, a schema for the data warehouse. Fact tables store quantitative information, and it can normalize it in many cases.
Dimensional tables: dimensional table is a table from a star schema used for attributes storage and dimensions. These tables explain objects, which are stored in a table of facts.
25. Describe the advantage of a Power BI designer.
Ans: Using the Power BI Designer, the users can design intuitive reports and dashboards simply with high speed. It is also helpful for users in changing the visual data views at their fingertips, and it develops analytics and decision making.
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
26. Mention the available gateways of Power BI
Ans: The Power BI contains two methods of gateways, the given below are the two methods of gateways.
- Information door of on-premises.
- Personal mode of information door from on-premise.
27. How to add SSRS with Power BI?
Ans: The given below are the steps for SSRS integration with Power BI.
- We may pin the report items of SSRS, such as charts with the dashboards of Power BI.
- PTO maintains the refreshed dashboards of data snapshots, and a subscription is designed.
- The reports of Power BI can be published with the portal of SSRS.
28. Share your idea about the Z-order of Power BI.
Ans: It is a kind of design strategy that is helpful for the visual arrangement of over shapes. We may explain it as the method of implementation that can be implacable when reports have various elements.
29. Explain x speed in memory investigation motor used for power pivot.
Ans: The main aim behind this power turn is the analytics engine of x velocity in memory. It permits us to deal with various informative measures that store the data in the columnar database.
30. Describe self-service business intelligence.
Ans: Self-service business intelligence is a kind of method used to deal with investigation data that empowers business clients' channels. There is no need for specific information for the breakdown and fragment.
31. List out various types of refresh options available in Power Bi.
Ans: Power BI maintains four kinds of refresh options, and the following are those four kinds of refresh options.
- Refresh package: This package synchronizes our Power BI desktop and the file present between the service of Power BI and one drive.
- Refresh model: This model has been used to refresh the dataset in Power BI services, and it uses data with the original data sources.
- Refresh tile: It is used to develop the cache for tile visuals; it updates every 15 minutes when data changes on the dashboard.
- Refresh visual container: It is used to refresh the visuals and develop the visual caught reports in a report when data is changed.
32. Mention the data source that can connect to Power BI.
Ans: We have various data sources which can connect with Power BI, and they may be grouped into three types as given below.
- Files: it may take the data from excel, desktop files of Power BI, separated values of comma-separated, etc.
- Content packs: Content packs are a group of stored files collection; it has two kinds of content packs.
- Service provider's content packs such as Marketo, google analytics, salesforce, etc.
- The content packs are shared and designed by other users in our company.
- Connectors: They help us connect our datasets and databases with services, apps, data, etc.
33. Share your knowledge on the Power BI dashboard.
Ans: It is a sheet of single-layer presentation of various visualization reports, the given below are the essential features of the Power BI dashboard.
- Power BI's dashboard permits us to drill with the page, selection pane, bookmarks, etc., that are used to design different tiles and integrate URLs.
- Power BI dashboard may help us to fix the report layout for mobile view.
34. How are the relationships defined in the desktop of Power BI?
Ans: It has two ways to define Power BI desktop relationships, the given below are those two ways.
- Manual: This manual method defines the relationship between tables manually by using primary and foreign keys.
- Automatic: This automated method enables automation in Power BI to automatically identify the relationship between tables and designs them.
35. Can we have multiple relationships between two tables in the power pivot data model?
Ans: No, we can't have multiple relationships between two tables at a time. But we can maintain multiple relationships inactively but not in an inactive state because there is a possibility for only one relationship.
36. How to schedule refresh feature work?
Ans: We may configure refreshing data automation regularly and weekly at various times. We can schedule a maximum of one refresh when we don't have Power BI. In the scheduled refresh section, we may utilize the menu choices to choose time and frequency.
Power BI Interview Questions for Advanced
37. Explain where we can store data in Power BI?
Ans: We can store the data in the tables, namely fact and dimension.
- Fact tables: This table is central for the star schema of a data warehouse; it helps us to store the information to analyze, which is quantitative.
- Dimension tables: It works like another table for the star schema of a data warehouse. We can store attributes that describe the stored objects in the table of facts.
38. Share your knowledge about various views on the desktop of Power BI.
Ans: We have three essential views in the power bi desktop; each of them has various purposes.
- Report view: Using this type of view, we can add visualization and reports to publish exactly on the portal.
- Data view: With this view's help, we can shape our data by using the query editor's tools.
- Relationship view: This view allows the users to manage the relationships between the datasets.
39. Describe the available formats of Power BI?
Ans: The given below are the various formats available in Power BI.
- Power bi desktop: This format is helpful for desktop computers.
- Power bi service: It is a kind of Software as a service.
- Apps of mobile power bi: It is used for the devices of android and IOS.
All of the above are utilized in conjunction, and we need to generate a report on our desktop. After that, we are permitted to publish and share those reports online to read them.
40. Briefly explain the building blocks of Power BI?
Ans: The given below are some essential building blocks of Power BI.
- Visualizations: Visualizations are nothing but charts, graphs, and a similar representation of visual data.
- Datasets: These datasets are a kind of data group, helped for visualization designing. Those data groups are like columns of sales figures, and these datasets are filtered and united from various sources with the help of connectors of build-ins.
- Reports: Reports are a set of Visualizations on multiple pages that may help bine ch, as aran example, we can say maps, graphs, and so for report generation.
- Dashboards: It permits us to share one page's visualizations with others, those who can interact with the help of our dashboards.
- Tiles: Tile is a kind of visualization in our report on the dashboard; we can move the tiles as we are the creators of these visualizations.
41. Describe the essential power bi toolkit components.
Ans: The following are the essential components of the Power BI toolkit.
- Power Query: Power query permits us to identify, manage and consolidate the data from various sources.
- Power pivot: It is a kind of modeling tool.
- Power map: With the help of a power map, we can design our data's geospatial representation.
- Power Q&A: It permits us to utilize the natural language to find answers to questions. They are like what was the last week's sales count.
42. Define paginated reports?
Ans: It is an adequately arranged page report of documented style page, and its reports are saved like paged documents. It is the place for vertical and horizontal expansion of documents for a view of accurate data. Paginated reports are pixel-perfect along with a fixed layout, and it is the best option for report printing from PDF.
43. How to use Power BI on mobile devices?
Ans: We may utilize the Power BI on our mobile devices, including mobile compatibility apps for mobile, IOS, and Windows 10 devices. We can install Power BI apps for required devices from app stores like apple AppStore, Microsoft store, and google play.
44. Describe the prerequisites for gateway download in our system.
Ans: The given below are essential requirements for gateway download in our systems.
- The framework of .NET 4.5
- Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
- CPU of 8 core
- 8 GB memory
- Windows 2012 R2, which is 64 bit
45. Describe the essential prerequisites for Power BI connection to Azure SQL database.
Ans: For Power BI secure connection and Azure SQL database development, we need to follow one essential prerequisite. Before this, we need to estimate the firewall settings to permit the remote connections. Without this setup, we cant connect with the Azure SQL database.
46. Share your knowledge about Z-order.
Ans: It represents the arrangement strategy of various elements in the report of Power BI. It helps us arrange the report elements properly, like tables, slicers, visualizations, etc.
47. How to map geographic data into power bi reports?
Ans: We have various ways to map the geographic data as power bi reports, and it has bing maps integration that offers the location coordination on the default map. This entire process is named geocoding, and there is no need for manual longitude and latitude coordination. We can use those map charts to map geographical data into power bi reports.
48. How to refresh Power BI reports after publishing?
Ans: We can refresh Power BI reports after publication in the cloud through gateways when we need to refresh them. When the report is published on Power BI websites, the gateway is utilized to refresh data.
49. How to shape our data in Power BI?
Ans: We have three essential data shaping techniques in Power BI.
- Rows and columns deletion from the data table.
- Index addition for the tables of data.
- Placing a sort order in the data tables with the values.
50. Share your knowledge on the advanced editors in Power BI.
Ans: It is a kind of editor in Power Query Editor, which helps M-code view in any query. Usually, this advanced editor helps in query syntax checking, which can run in the editor. We may access this advanced editor from the tab of view in Power Query editor, and it can work with the advanced editor window for step-by-step code analysis.
51. What are the advantages of the Power BI gateway?
Ans: The given below are the essential advantages of the Power BI gateway.
- Download the gateway in our system.
- We can add users with gateway who are in requirement of data access.
- It connects the data sources on-premises. It is essential to step as this is the process for data utilization for report production.
- It refreshes the on-premises data to maintain the reports as updated.
52. Describe the calculated columns in Power BI?
Ans: It is a kind of DAX formula that produces a column for the data table. Every value of this column is calculated while the system is computing the code. Its values are the evaluated results and the formula of calculated DAX. the calculated column value is not compressed in memory with other data values.
53. Define the Query folding in Power Query?
Ans: The conversion process of code in power query edition as SQL; is required for code execution through database sources. It is done for limited resources machines of clients and used in the optimization process.
Power BI Scenario Based Interview Questions
54. Describe your definition of BI.
Ans: Business intelligence (BI) is a collection of technologies for analyzing data. This data analysis provides deeper data analytics to the organization's managers and executives, allowing them to improve their decisions in the organization's development.
55. In Power BI, where is the data stored?
Ans: In Power BI, data is often contained in Fact and Dimension tables. The Fact Table is the central table in a data warehouse's star schema, and it holds quantitative data for analysis. A dimension table is a table in the star schema that stores the attributes and dimensions of the data in a fact table.
Power BI Training
Weekday / Weekend Batches
56. Describe the data sources that Power BI will connect to.
Ans: Power BI will connect to the following sources:
- HDInsight Interactive Query
- Azure Data Explorer
- Azure SQL Data Warehouse
- AtScale (Beta)
- Google BigQuery
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure HDInsight Spark and more.
57. Make a distinction between Tableau and Power BI.
Ans: The distinctions between Power BI and Tableau are as follows:
- Tableau is the perfect platform for data visualization, while Power BI focuses solely on modeling and reporting.
- Tableau is more expensive than Power BI.
- Tableau uses Python Machine Learning, while Power BI is related to Microsoft Azure.
- Tableau has a personalized dashboard, while Power BI has a simple and easy-to-use interface.
- When dealing with large volumes of data, Power BI becomes slow, while Tableau can handle any volume of data with ease.
58. What leads to the advent of Self-service BI over Managed Enterprise BI?
Ans: Working with Managed Enterprise BI uncovered plenty of issues, triggering the development of self-service BI. The below are some of the challenges that Self-service BI solved as compared to controlled Enterprise BI.
- Since the data comes from a multitude of sources rather than Managed Enterprise BI, it's difficult to handle the vast volume of information.
- Most of the time, the organization is unable to extract insights from the data since it is complicated and large.
- It is often difficult to interpret the data due to time constraints. As a result, firms must focus on third-party vendors, resulting in reduced efficiency and a rising company budget.
- The ability to generate a report necessitates complex programming skills.
Self-self BI is capable of handling data streams from a wide range of sources. The data is easily digestible, and useful insights can be extracted from it. It does not need to rely on third-party vendors to conduct data analysis. Hence, time is saved and the budget problem is avoided. Dashboards support users by generating reports without the need for complex programming skills.
59. What do you mean by query collapsing?
Ans: Query collapsing is the method of converting the steps in the power query editor to SQL and running them in the source editor.
60. Is it possible to create multiple dynamic connections between two tables?
Ans: No, more than one dynamic connection between two tables is not feasible.
61. Is it possible to categorize users in Power BI, and if so, how?
Ans: Yes, Power BI users can be categorized. The classification is as follows:
- Power BI is used by developers to build graphics and reports. Generally, they are engaged in technical practice.
- IT experts are mostly responsible for computer security and centrally handling Power BI systems and their users. They are also responsible for technical issues such as scalability and availability.
- The fundamental characteristic of a business user is that they are conscious of the most recent technologies and their insights for them. There are regular users who read the report and then share it via the Power BI website or mobile app.
- Analysts mainly use Power BI to create reports, data models, dashboards, visuals, and other tools to help others interpret their data insights. Power BI is used by analysts to retrieve data, prepare datasets, cleanse and prepare data for analysis and reporting.
The above stated are four types of users of Power BI according to their usage.
62. Is it possible to refresh the published data on the cloud in Power BI?
Ans: Yes, gateways may be used to refresh data that has been published on the cloud. For sharepoint, the Data Management Gateway is used, and for powerbi.com, the Power BI Personal Gateway is used.
63. State DAX Syntax and explain its parameters.
Ans: The DAX function has the following syntax:
ProjectSales2019 = SUM (Sales [TotalSales2018]) *1.08
- ProjectSales2019 – Name of the measure.
- = – Operator equating the two sides.
- SUM – DAX function.
- () – Parenthesis, defined arguments are enclosed.
- Sales – table name for reference.
- TotalSales2018 – Column name for reference.
- * – Another operator.
64. What is the process of SSRS to integrate with Power BI?
Ans: The Power BI dashboard can be pinned with some SSRS items. The SSRS report will open when you press the tile on the dashboard. A subscription is then generated to refresh the tile. Power BI reports will soon be able to be published to the SSRS portal.
Finally, we would like to state that the above Power BI Interview Questions have helped the people who planned this to crack even the most difficult interviews. These Power BI Interview Questions and Answers will not only help you get ready for a job, but they'll also keep you updated on Power BI industry trends and knowledge.
Submit an interview question
Find our upcoming Power BI Training Online Classes
Batch starts on 18th Apr 2021, Weekend batch
Batch starts on 22nd Apr 2021, Weekday batch
Batch starts on 26th Apr 2021, Weekday batch