Learning HKR’s recently designed Cognos Interview questions with answers will help you to crack any type of Interviews which are conducted by top companies. This Cognos interview question section contains a brief introduction to contents and its features. HKR’s Cognos interview question blog has covered advanced technical and analytical topics for both freshers as well as working professionals. As per the Naukri job portal, an average salary for Cognos professional earns more than Rs. 12, 00, 000/annum. Let’s start learning Cognos Interview Questions with answers;
Ans: Cognos is an analytical platform mainly used in the development of AI-based business tool. This tool is used to perform data aggregations, web-based integration, and generate user-friendly reports. Cognos is an Ontario-based company that supports business intelligence and performance development software. This analytical tool also provides an option to export the user-friendly report in XML or PDF formats and also enables you to view the reports in XML format.
Ans: The following are the key features of the Cognos tool;
· Offers flexible master data management for metrics, perspectives, strategic targets, and the relationships between the applications.
· Automated transfer, distributed entry, or calculation of actual period values.
· Ability to enter action information and status for metrics in red status.
· Highly flexible and automated management of security permissions at any level.
· Pre-built report and analysis templates for metrics
· Ability to construct interactive impact diagrams between metrics in each scorecard.
Ans: The below table explains the difference between Tableau and Cognos;
|Tableau Desktop||IBM Cognos|
|Tableau offers platform compatibility with windows, web-based, and android devices||Cognos is compatible with Windows, Linux, and web-based platforms|
|Tableau works better than Cognos in data transformation and data modeling||Cognos is better in functionalities such as standard reporting and ad-hoc reporting|
|Tableau offers less access control and security functionalities||Cognos is better than tableau in access control and security functionalities|
Ans: Dynamic cubes are the in-built memory that helps to load the data directly from relational data management sources that are well structured.
Ans: The Cognos dynamic cube consists of three major elements, they are;
· Cognos cube designer
· Cognos Dynamic cubes server
· Aggregate advisor (this is a part of Cognos dynamic query analyzer)
Ans: The following are the important steps involved in modeling workflow;
· First select the database schema
· Import the amount of metadata required
· Defines the dimension and measurements
· Creates the dynamic cube
· Auto generates the Cognos cube
· Using the primary-foreign key relationships and populate the dimensions
· Deploys the options in Cognos cube designer with publishing option.
Ans: The aggregate advisor is a type of performance optimization utility;
· This advisor is a part of the Dynamic query analyzer
· Suggests the database aggregate table columns and in-built memory functionalities
· Make use of the Cognos cube’s model and statistics
· Make use of the log files that are generated from the execution of reports
· Run during the off-peak and offers non-critical business hours.
Ans: The following are the important factors which meet to have what is considered to be a durable model;
· You need to create the design language for the model which is not the same as the user who chooses the design for the English language.
· The design language consists of namespaces, query subjects, and query items that are published in a package initially.
· The structure of the published package namespace, query subjects, query items, and dimensions should not change over time.
· This structure is stored in a specification definition, along with the design language’s names.
· All the elements are stored in a model. XML and usage of reference ID which are set to true.
Ans: The below steps involved in the creation of security features in Cognos cubes such as;
Ans: Framework manager is a type of tool that allows users to make sure that data sources should be available for various Cognos suites. And also enables you to add additional logic details. Within the logical Cognos architecture environment, a framework model consists of logic and important information which are required to use of Cognos tools in the time of software development.
Ans: There are three types of layers available in the Framework manager model such as;
· Database layer
· Logical layer
· Dimensional layer.
Ans: A query mode is used by IBM to perform predictive maintenance and quality reports. This Query model is considered to be the supported mode for all the reports.
Ans: The important factors of predictive maintenance and quality are as follows;
Ans: The following activities can be done with message flows;
Ans: Determinants are the advanced features first introduced in Cognos 8 offers control over granularity when aggregating the data. This is also used to ensure that repeating data and offers index information in a database. These determinants are used by the framework manager to determine levels in default hierarchy when auto-generates the regular dimensions from the data query subjects.
Ans: Model Advisor is one of the useful tools used to detect the modeling issues, incorrect determinants, and cardinality issues. This advisor helps in easy configuration and import checks for areas where we need further investigation. This tool also provides direct links to the problem area and help.
Ans: This dimensional model relational database constructs the classic query mode structures. The following activities are such;
Ans: The regular dimensions are used to create the model query subjects or database query subjects. This also helps to define the hierarchies to organize levels and drill paths. With the help of a regular dimension, users can specify the multiple hierarchies in a single dimension.
Ans: This SQL generation determines the model query subject and establishes the relationships between model query subjects. Here filters, macros, and calculations can be used as data source query subjects.
Ans: There are mainly four types indexed used in Cognos such as;
Ans: The below are the few report types available in Cognos;
Ans: The prompt types in Cognos are as follows;
Ans: There are five types of studios available in Cognos;
Ans: The list of the gateway used in Cognos such as;
Ans: The two levels of hierarchies used in Cognos;
Ans: The Cognos framework manager security helps to restrict the access of metadata and control the unauthorized access to the application.
The different types of securities we can apply in framework manager;
Data security: with the help of data security you can create the security filters and applying security methods to the query subject. This type of data filter controls the data when you want to use them during the time of reporting.
Object security: here you can secure the object directly by allowing users to access the proper data, denying the users access to the data objects, and keeping it invisible from all users.
Package security: Here users can apply security to the package and identify who can access these packages.
Ans: There are two types of shortcuts available such as;
Local is used for maintaining the local repository whereas Global shortcuts are used for the global repository. The main advantage of using shortcuts is to rescue an object instead of creating multiple data objects.
Ans: A cascading report is used to extract data from one prompt to another prompt.
Drill through the report is used to extract the data by selecting the report columns and this can be drilled down by clicking the column data.
Ans: To create any kind of security features to cubes such as class views and dimension views.
Dimension view helps to hide certain data from the cube this depends on what type of view you are using.
The class view is used for making the data available for certain role groups in a cube.
From this Cognos interview question article, you can learn only the very important questions asked by any top company. But to get thorough knowledge of the content, you should have real-time as well as hands-on experience, this will add extra mileage. To obtain complete knowledge in Cognos technology, join our HKR’s Cognos training course today and unleash the skill sets. I hope this article may help a few of you those who are looking for the top 30 Cognos interview questions
Batch starts on 20th Sep 2021, Weekday batch
Batch starts on 24th Sep 2021, Fast Track batch
Batch starts on 28th Sep 2021, Weekday batch