Everything around the world is changing and getting advanced with technological updates. The business organizations are the most impacted in the current era of Living. The organizations deal with a large amount of data, and it has become a tedious task for the business teams to create, manage, and handle the organization's data. Microsoft has developed software called Microsoft SQL Server to overcome the tedious task, one of the most commonly used software in business industries. In this blog, you will give an understanding of what is Microsoft SQL Server, its editions, architecture, and services along with its components, etc.
Microsoft SQL server or simply SQL Server is the platform on software designed and developed to manage its large databases.This is a software that is developed by Microsoft using a specification of the relational database management system. The SQL server is also an object-relational database management system that includes both command based and graphical user interface models. SQL server helps create, manage, analyze, and generate the databases and the data reports efficiently.
SQL Server is built on the top of SQL, which standard programming language is used for interaction between the relational databases or with the relational databases. SQL server is tied up with T-SQL or transaction SQL, which implements SQL by Microsoft that adds a set of programming constructs. SQL Server has worked on the Windows environment for more than 20 years, which is impressive. SQL server management studio is the primary interface tool used for the SQL server, which supports 32-bit and 64-bit environments.
Microsoft SQL Server has come up with different editions that have its features. Every edition differs from each other. From a higher and to a lower end perspective, the following are the SQL Server versions provided by Microsoft SQL Server.
1. SQL Server Enterprise edition
2. SQL Server business intelligence edition
3. SQL Server standard edition
4. SQL server web edition
5. SQL Server developer edition
6. SQL Server Express edition
Let us have a quick review of the different types of SQL Server editions mentioned above.
The SQL Server Enterprise edition is one of the editions utilized by the large Enterprises or large businesses that would positively need the advanced features in SQL Server and business intelligence and high availability. For example, the SQL Server Enterprise edition does not limit the number of processors or RAM. You are specified or bound to only the number of processors and RAM amount that the operating system can handle. Microsoft also supports the business developer edition, which allows the developers to create the SQLserver solutions at a reduced price for the cost. If you are looking for a solution into the general bytes of data storage in the SQL server, then the SQL server enterprise edition is the best choice for you.
SQL Server business intelligence edition includes the features available in the standard edition and consists of some of the additional features like data Quality Services, which would help you create the business rules. This edition has some Sharepoint features, which will help integrate outside of SSIS and some scalability features. SQL Server business intelligence edition allows you to scale all the business intelligence features other than the database engine to the operating system maximum of cores.
SQL Server standard edition has more value than it was before. It allows you to create a highly available system in the standard edition by utilizing the database mirroring, clustering, and integrated 64-bit support. It also offers unlimited RAM like the SQL Server Enterprise edition. Hence, you can scale it as high as your physical hardware, and the operating system will allow. However, there is a cap of four processors with this edition.
The SQL server web edition is designed and developed to provide its extensive support for the web hosters' total cost of ownership option. SQL server web edition has also come up with the features like scalability affordability. It also includes capability, which helps manage the databases from small to large scale web properties. The web server edition is between the standard and the express editions, which comes up with features like web hosting companies.
The SQL Server developer edition works similar to the Enterprise edition for the non-production environment. The SQL Server developer edition is designed and developed to create and implement the solutions within low operating costs. The developers do all this task in the SQL server developer edition. It is used to build, test, and perform all the different operations or aspects in the software development life cycle.
SQL Server Express edition allows you to import and export the available wizard. It is mostly used by the small scale app and is available free of cost. The express SQL server edition is best suitable for clients who cannot afford a SQL server license price.
We use the SQL server to manage the database when we develop and test its database application. When we are working on testing and developing a database application, we need to know that we can see how it acts in development when we write the code. We will get similar behavior in production as well.
The editions of SQL server are purely dependent on the features that are utilized by the organizations. These features in the SQL Server editions can be enabled uninstalled, whether you use a free edition or Enterprise edition. The problem only arises when you say an enterprise-only feature in development but have only a standard edition instance in the production. You need to decide and select the right SQL server edition based on the features available in it, concerning your application that you are developing.
To give you a better understanding of client-server architecture, let us consider an example of a son asking his mother to prepare mango juice for him.
When the son asks, the mother will go ahead and start the preparation process of mango juice. She will peel, chop the mangoes and mix well in the grinder by adding some sugar and milk. The mango juice is prepared and is handed over to her son by the mother.
In the above process, the son is the client who has given his requirements, and another is the server responsible for the preparation and management, delivering the juice to the son on time.
It is the same way with the SQL server. It also utilizes the client-server architecture wherein the server provides all the information required by the client. A client is an application that will send the request to the MS SQL server installed on a given machine. The SQL server is responsible for processing the input data as requested and responding or returning the processed output data as a result.
There are many different components and services on the SQL server. They are listed below. Let's have a brief review of them.
1. Database engine: The database engine is responsible for handling the storage, securing the data, and performing the Rapid transaction processing.
2. SQL Server: SQL Server is responsible for starting, stopping, pausing, and continuing any instance of the Microsoft SQL Server. Hence it is a service that performs the different operations of an example in the SQL server. The executable name is sqlservr.exe
3. SQL Browser: The SQL Browser is responsible for listening to the incoming request and establishing the desired SQL Server instance. The executable name is sqlbrowser.exe.
4. SQL server agent: The SQL server agent is responsible for scheduling the task and the task scheduler's role. It can Trigger any event or as per the demand. The executable name is sqlagent.exe.
5. SQL Server full-text search: SQL server full-text search helps the user run all the full-text queries against the SQL tables' character data. The executive name is fdlauncher.exe.
6. SQL Server VSS writer: SQL server VSS writer is responsible for allowing the backup and restoring data files' operation when the SQL Server is not running. The executable name is sqlwriter.exe.
7. SQL server reporting services (SSRS): The SQL server reporting services are responsible for providing the reporting features and decision-making capabilities. It also allows integration with Hadoop. The executable name is ReportingServicesService.exe.
8. SQL server analysis services (SSAS): SQL server and services is responsible for providing data analysis, data mining, and machine learning capabilities. It is also integrated with R and Python language for advanced analytics. The executable name is msmdsrv.exe.
9. SQL Server integration services(SSIS): Integration services provide its extensible support by delivering the exact transform and load capabilities of the different data types from one source to another. It also allows the conversion of the raw information into Useful information.
SQL is capable of providing the flexibility to run multiple services at a time. This is possible by various logins, portals, ports, databases, etc.
SQL Server allows two different types of SQL Server instances. They are:
1. Named instances
2. Primary instance
These are the two different ways that are used to access the primary instance. We can also use its IP address. Named instances accessible by appending a backslash and instance name.
The SQL Server instances are used to reduce the cost of operating the SQL server, for installation purposes of different versions on a single machine, for maintaining development, production, and testing the environment separately, for reducing the temporary database problems and maintaining a standby server by separating the security privileges.
SQL Server is one of the most commonly used platforms by business organizations and business teams. The SQL server comprises the complex components that deliver the business needs on time. Every one of us needs to gain understanding and learn more about the SQL server, which is booming in the current times. I hope the above information is helpful to you. I would also say that it is necessary or essential to think twice before choosing the SQL server edition and try to understand if that addition will serve your purpose or not. All this can be gained on understanding and experience in the SQL server and handling of projects. Hence, to learn more about SQL server, I would recommend you to get trained and certified in SQL as it is the software that is utilized or used by most of the business organizations.
30th October | 07:00 pm